Pages

Tuesday, April 20, 2010

A New Era in Digital Mixing

After weeks of pondering my current dj setup I have finally decided to make a note-worthy change to my system. Currently I am running 2 Denon DN-S3700 CD/Media Players coupled to Virtual DJ Pro and all routed through Denon's top of the line mixer the DN-X1700 as shown below

My Current Rig



The main issue that prompted my change is I have been doing digital mixing for about 5 years now and stepping over to CD players and an analog mixer as the foundation for my system has been like starting over. I usually find myself using the 3700's in midi mode controlling the software whilst having their cd functionality and USB support as backup. The problem with running these units in USB mode is the unbelievably complicated process required to have the decks display the waveform data which is vital to producing my style of mixes. I am now switching out the mixer in order to obtain the best of both worlds as you will see. I am also switching software platforms to the most respected name in the industry. I will keep the 3700's for CD and Media playback as well.



Yes I bought the new Xone:DX unit from Allen & Heath which is a collaboration with Serato Audio Research The unit is a mixer / Plug’n'Play DJ controller. The unit is also a 20-channel USB soundcard and features total integration of the brand new 4-deck Serato ITCH software.

Boasting the ability to send up to 168 individual MIDI control messages, a 20-channel 96kHz/24-bit USB 2.0 soundcard, two dual layer deck simulators, and RIAA/phono inputs for external decks, as well as the central 4 channel mixer section which directly manipulates the DSP mixing within the computer, the Xone:DX is the most versatile, high specification professional DJ controller to date and ships with a full version of the new Serato ITCH software providing unique 4-deck control, and a comprehensive set of digital DJ FX, as well as looping and time-stretching.



The Xone:DX also has bi-colour LED feedback layer assignment, UV light sensitive legend, mix outputs on RCA and balanced XLR, a separate booth output, and measures 50mm deep to fit conveniently in a laptop bag.

My only challenges now will be waiting for the first units to arrive in Canada on June 1st and explaining to everyone why I am so preoccupied playing with my setup come June.



I'm so excited about this unit I've decided April Week 3 needs a hump day lift. I will be posting the Phossl Fuel Mix - April 2010 - Week 3.5 tomorrow to get you through to the weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment